1. Who is the poet of the poem ‘ On Killing A Tree’?
6. What does the word ‘crust’ mean?
Ans.⇒ The word ‘crust’ means the topmost layer of the Earth.
7. What does the term ‘leprous hide’ mean?
Ans. ⇒ The term ‘leprous hide’ means the bark of a tree which is probably rough and has marks.
8. What kind of task is it to kill a tree?
Ans. ⇒According to Gieve Patel, it is a very difficult task to kill a tree and it takes much time.
9. How does the poet describe the bark of a tree?
Ans.⇒ The poet, Gieve Patel, has described the bark of a tree as ‘leprous’.
Ans. ⇒ The phrase, ‘sprouting leaves’ means the little and new green leaves that have just grown or about to grow from boughs of a tree.
11. What would not kill a tree alone?
Ans. ⇒ Hacking and chopping would not kill a tree alone.
12.“But this alone won’t do it”- What does ‘this’ refer to?
Ans. ⇒ Here ‘this’ refers to the act of hacking and chopping which is not enough for killing a tree completely.
13. “But this alone won’t do it”- What does ‘it’ refer to?
Ans. ⇒ Here ‘it’ refers to the act of killing a tree completely.
14. Where will the ‘curled green twigs’ rise from? 
Ans. ⇒ The ‘curled green twigs’ will rise from the remaining part of the tree which is very close to the ground.
15. “Miniature boughs”- What does the word ‘boughs’ mean?
Ans. ⇒ The word ‘boughs’ means branches of a tree.
16. What does the poet mean by saying ‘unchecked’?
Ans. ⇒ When a tree is cut down and if the ‘curled green twigs’ are ‘unchecked’ or not cut, they will grow again to their former size.
17. What happens after ‘hacking and chopping’?
Ans. ⇒ After ‘hacking and chopping’ the bark of the tree bleeds and it gives the tree much pain.
18. What lies hidden in the earth’s cave?
Ans. ⇒ The root lies hidden in the earth’s cave.
19. Where does the strength of a tree lie?
Ans.⇒ The strength of a tree lies in its root which finds the anchorage inside the earth.
20. “The source, white and wet.”- What does the word ‘source’ refer to?
Ans.⇒ The word ‘source’ refers to the root of a tree which helps the tree to absorb the necessary nutrition from the earth.
21. How does Gieve Patel describe the root of a tree?
Ans. ⇒ Gieve Patel describes the root of a tree as the source of a tree which is wet and white and which is the most sensitive part.
22. Why is the ‘source’ called ‘white’ and ‘wet’?
Ans.⇒ Here the ‘source’ is the root of a tree which is called as ‘white’ because it remains under the earth and ‘wet’ because it absorbs water from the soil.
23. “And then it is done”- Which act is referred to here?
And. ⇒ Here the act of killing a tree is referred to.
24. What role do the sun and air play in killing a tree?
Ans. ⇒ The sun and the air play a vital role in killing a tree by scorching and choking.